Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One hell of a day

Today started and ended a bit like I imagine Hell would be. These are just random thoughts and stories that have been happening to me all day...

This morning. First day at El Inca, the women's prison here. After being stamped and thoroughly violated (I'm actually kinda embarassed to say) while being padded down, me and the other team members enterted the facility... I was told later that they were especially invasive today.

Thought: wonder what would have happend had a slapped the female fully armed prison gard's hand away?

Ok walk with me inside. It was kinda surreal, it looked like a rundown indoor apartment complex. There were things you'd never see in a US prison. Not that I've seen many myself but still. There was laundry hanging outside to dry and the glass on most of the windows were broken. The prisoners walk around freely for the most part.

Thoughts: Should I have put was instead of were for the glass? Or is it plural? Or is windows the subject. You'd think I'd be better at this after teaching.

Today was para visitas (for visiting? I don't know it sounds wierd). We when into the chapel. I helped lead worship, it went a little less than smooth but I think we were forgiven. Some of the ladies seem really nice and happy to have us there. Some came up and gave us besos. Lots of smiles. I wasn't sure who spoke English and who spoke Spanish, so I mostly just smiled really big! And then there were others, really drawn in. Who knows what they've gone through/going through.

Thought: they really need to come up with better words for wierd and awkward in Spanish. Also apparently sassy can't be translated (I found that out today). But I don't care so much about that one, mostly because I avoid using it in any language.

Then we split up into groups for the the English and Spanish speakers. There are a lot of forieners that get caught trafficking drugs and what not and put there for like a min of like 2 years, some know they are trafficking and some don't. They are then put into this prison and given only a space, no bed, blankets - nothing. They have to buy the rest. They are given $1 for food each day. So these women have to "work." Which usually consists of, you guessed it, prostitution. I was kinda shocked to find out about the lesbianism/prostitution that goes on. I mean I just didn't realized that it'd be so much like a men's prison would be.

So once in the groups we started the Bible study. This one big Nigerian woman was saying her "amens" and such with such gusto that she was almost yelling everything back that the leader was saying!!! The woman leading had to shout the whole time to be heard over her. I was trying so hard to not laugh. I didn't know if she had a mental problem, she seemed simi-normal before that. Then the woman to her right told her to shut up at one point, which was to no avail. And finally when she read one verse about Jesus' salvation (or something like the hope we have in Chirst) she started shouting and shimmying her shoulders !!! and the lady next to her, who had either been ignoring her or irritated by her, lost it and started laughing. Which of course made me lose it, but being behind them I was able to hide.

Thought: Fred Astare was really a homely guy, great dancer but feo.

I didn't get to really talk to them to much but I'm excited to go back now that I know who to say what to. I hope that the gards take it easy on the searching though... que incomodo.

Though: has there ever been a record of a cat committing suicide? If not then I guess I should stop hoping for that...

Had some Mexican food for lunch, well sorta.

Thought: I miss Mexican food the most from home. And In 'n Out. I've already mapped out places I will eat at a.s.a.p. once back home first stop: Double double animal style, ketchup and mustard instead with extra veggies.

Spanish class. Had a different teacher today. Every time I don't have my normal one I feel like a learn more, does that mean I do better when I don't know someone or is my normal teacher just not right for me?

Then Pan de Vida. I hear "Shelli are you going to do anything spicific right now?" (in Spanish) I stupidly answer "No." (in Spanish, maybe if I'd have answered in English I would have saved myself) Then I became the nanny for like 20 ill behaved childern and one continously crying baby. Once told this I accidentally said "I hate kids." Response: really? To which I replied "after this year I do." 2 longest hours of my day. But I got out alive and with only a little bit of snot and pee on me.

Thoughts: I am amazed at this one kid, he kept eatting stuff. And I told him to give the plastic in his mouth to me, he wouldn't. So we had a power struggle for a few minutes before he broke it in half and as a pulled it from his mouth I wondered at how it didn't break his teeth in half!!! His must only have been 6 but already most of his front teeth were rotting out.

I was working in the kitchen with this snotty teenager. He totally picked up food with his fingers and tried and then went back to working! I told him that he should probably wash his hands, I was ignored. How freakin' dare he?! So I tapped on his arm and said "no really you really should wash up before you serve" and he just said yeah and kept dishing up food! I am so mad, just because the people were are serving are poor and probably don't have the same hygene standards does not mean we should just not care about the quality of our service to them! If anything we should be treating them better because no one ever does!

Thought: Geez, I really should never have kids.

I tired walking home at dusk with some girls who were going the same way, key word: Tried. They being younger and in much better shape made it effortlessly up the hill... and well much to my shame, and I was panting by the top of the hill. Could barely remember how to say good bye in English. But once I got home I was free to rest and watch a musical, or so I thought. As I litterally had to unlock our 7 different locks to get in, I seriously thought about just sitting out side the door. Ok I was in, finally. Roommate 1 comes home, status: fair. Roommate 2 comes home, status: poor (in more ways than one). Turns out as she was walking home her and her friend got robbed!!! They took keys, cell phones, book bags (they were coming from Seminary) and his computer! I've heard of this but never seen it until today... she was laughing, like histerically. Then the crying came later. After I sang enough ridiculous songs to lighten the mood we were chatting about why people do stuff like. And the sad reality is all some people have is themselves to depend on, no future hope of heaven so they need to make here as "good" as possible... decieved by greed or necessity. And when you have no hope of heaven maybe it's like hell has already begun?

Thoughts: I've gained 20 stinkin' pounds this year! How did that happen? Just felt the need to share that. Although I'm not really happy about it, I must be sorta proud of it... because I tell pretty much everyone. And I'm not fishing for compliments. Just sayin' ya know?
I don't know how you read this but I had a pretty freakin' awesome day! Not everyone around me did though. Also hope that the theives don't know where we live. I would almost think just getting into the Ecuadorian Fort Knox would deter them from braking in, even with keys... but not everyone is as lazy as me. Also I'm thinking about spell checking this, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment